In the dog days of summer these little guys struggle and some - I think he said 4 out of 15 - have died - others are just barely hanging on, but if they can make it through their first summer they will usually be stronger next year and every year after. He advised planting in the fall because then they will have more time to establish their roots before the heat bears down on their little frames.
He walked over to a few of the struggling plants, examined their leaves and branches and determined that there was still some green life to be found and decided to make a shade covering for them. He also set the hose on a drip and put the timer on the kitchen clock for 1 hr. to soak the little fellas.
I started thinking about how long it takes to feel rooted. And of my experience. And I decided Norm was right. It takes about a year after you are planted from the startling adjustment of change and new soil to take root again. Sometimes you need to throw a little cover over yourself for a few months and just hunker down before you feel like exposing your full face to the sun again. But, if you can make it through your first summer, you become more rooted and ready to bear the next season of change.
Which reminds me, I need to go check on my lemon and lime trees, and perhaps offer some shade and an extra drip of water.

5 comments:
You are such a good writer... I really like this analogy. I always feel so overwhelmed by almost any change. But I always adjust, and look back wondering what I was so worked up about. Its so nice to remember though that we always seem to adjust! :)
It only takes a year?!? :)
Wow! See, that's why I need to know you. I would hear/see that, and think how cool it is that he knows so much, and take his advice about plants. I'm so glad that you think of things on a different level sometimes, and then share them with us. I need that blunt reminder sometimes. Thanks! Well written.
Um, did you write this post just for me? :) haha. It's just what I needed to hear. That's why I love you!
Hey Barb! This was great and I enjoyed your past posts too. Your boys are cracking me up!! And I love all your craft ideas. Ahh, girls camp--I remember the days ;D It's great to see you guys doing well. Miss ya!
Post a Comment