June 16, 2008

Confessions of an Undomesticated Goddess

(but a goddess nonetheless)...

1. My Husband went to work today without socks on. Seriously, he did loafers with no socks...why? because I didn't get the laundry done...again. (and I had a serious conversation with him about the merits of wearing dirty socks...I mean who would really know if he didn't take his shoes off, right?)

2. I need advance warning before guests arrive. At least one day before dinner guests and approximately one work week or weekend before overnight guests, why? because I need time to shove miscellaneous household items in secret (okay, maybe not so secret) junk closet.

3. At least 10 pair of shoes greet you at our door. And sadly most of them are mine. The morning shoe hunt before leaving for work is usually 5 min.

4. I am a habitual stacker. I stack paper and unpleasant bills in piles by the phone and on the desk, by the bedside, you name it. Why deal with unpleasant sorting until absolutely necessary. Plus, must have husband around in case I throw away important financials, so better off stacking till later. Stacking is at least tidying up, right?

5. Dust is a textural feature to my decor. Texture is an important element of design and I employ it on every dark wood surface we own. Although, I must say Cole is a big help dusting the coffee table with his behind.

6. I have a drinking problem. I like to drink water. I drink to prevent eating, especially late at night...so I usually have at least 4 half empty glasses around. Weekly, Greg usually, will go on a "cup" hunt and fill the dishwasher. A few times my half empty glasses have been emptied on lap or head by my v.cute son.

7. Why iron when you can 'sprits'. No need for fancy irons or steamers, just spray your clothes with a little water...whilst on your body a few min. before walking out the door. It works. Trust me. Sometimes it makes for a soggy car ride and a little anxiety about the seat belt wrinkling your top, but otherwise it's a very effective technique.

8. Laundry need only be done when underwear has run out. This usually necessitates late night laundry cycles. Nap until wash is through, throw in dryer and then bed down for the night.

9. Folding laundry need never be done. Simply pull from dryer or 'clean clothes laundry basket'. (Then sprits for wrinkles, of course!)

10. I'd rather blog (or pretty much anything else) than clean up the dishes.

Although there may be no hope for this undomesticated goddess, I must say I am really getting into this fancy apron trend. I mean, just because you are undomesticated doesn't mean you can't have a little fashion in the kitchen...now there's something this goddess can get behind!

6 comments:

robin said...

loving the no-iron thing. I'm totally trying it.

Karen said...

You ARE a domestic goddess! I love this post!

Taralee said...

I was laughing the whole way through because I feel like you stole the words right out of my mouth. The only thing I can't mark off my list is the husband wearing shoes with no socks. But other than that, I'm right there with ya!! Too funny. Glad to know I'm not the only one. And we never use our iron. The spray bottle is totally our friend!

Laurie said...

This is so funny. I think laundry has to be the curse we all hate the most. I usually put it off til we have no other options. John always has to tell me he's low on his g's. I am also a paper stacker. I sort it way too many times. It's the thing that also drives me nuts!

barlows said...

I loved this post! You are totally together in my book, so kudos for working out the tricks!

Unknown said...

Dust is a textural element ... THAT's funny.

I miss my work-spouse this week!